Monday, July 18, 2005

Deep Frying Desserts: An Introduction

I think it was in the mid-to-late 1990’s when I learned that the Scots were deep-frying Mars bars. At the time, I associated deep-frying solely with the namesake product of their ubiquitous fish ‘n chips shops (where these desserts are apparently still as popular as ever). The idea of dropping a chocolate bar into a fryer with a few pieces of cod did not immediately appeal to me. But I’ve since become aware of the versatility of the deep-fryer, and I now understand that just because something is battered, it doesn’t have to be sprinkled with vinegar and dipped in tartar sauce.

Deep-frying desserts is an idea whose time has come. We recommend that you start with Oreos. Because these little suckers are so hard (that’s why I always dunk mine in milk), there’s little chance of them falling apart or oozing out their melty contents while being fried. A deep-fried Oreo is vastly superior to one straight out of the package. With a crisp golden batter yielding a moist chocolately centre, you won’t even think of dunking it in milk. Though I wouldn't think less of you if you did.

Once you’ve mastered the Oreo, you’ll no doubt want to move on to other fried confections. The Mars bar (or a similar bar, like the Milky Way) is perfect. A few minutes in the deep-fryer softens the nougatty interior nicely, seemingly intensifying the flavour and undeniably making for a tongue-tantalizingly pleasing texture. Our detailed documentation of the Mars bar-frying process will follow soon, but for now be advised that most chocolate bars benefit from an hour in your freezer before they’re fried, lest they completely collapse after three minutes in scalding oil.

American carnivals are seeing an upswing in vendors hawking deep-fried Twinkies. Though I’d like to try frying Ding-Dongs or Hostess Cupcakes some time, we skipped the Twinkies in favour of putting a Canadian spin on things by frying a Nanaimo Bar. It just made a good thing better. And once you start deep frying desserts, you'll start making a list of products to pick up the next time you hit the candy or cookie aisle of your nearest grocery.

The below account of deep-frying Oreos, though attributed to me, was written entirely by Lisa.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could we see a photo of Lisa sporting the "tin foil hat"?

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005, Anonymous glennies mommie said...

Looks like I'm the 100th visitor to your site....that has to be good for...ummm let me see... maybe a deep fried mars bar?????

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006, Blogger bunny said...

I LOVE YOU PEOPLE! I live in Dallas, TX, where our state fair has introduced the deep fried Coke, deep fried Cosmopolitan, deep fried pralines, deep fried peanut butter banana and jelly sandwiches...it goes on and on. So far I've missed all of them, and have therefore been planning a Deep Fry Anything You Can Get Your Hands On party. Some of the intended experiments are raw cookie dough and Moon Pies. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to have found your site with your documented experiments. Happy frying!

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Blogger bunny said...

BTW, I attended the fair on Sunday and have the following rankings for you:

1) Fried Oreos
2) Fried Twinkie
3) Fried Peanut Butter, Jelly & Banana sandwich
4) Fried Coke (truly nasty and odd)
5) Fried Nutter Butter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home